Residence halls are open and operated when school is in session. They are not available as student housing on a year-round basis and are closed over the Christmas holidays and between semester periods. Students may not have access to their rooms in advance of the published opening dates and must vacate their rooms by published closing dates. Students may leave personal belongings in their rooms over the holidays, but the rooms may not be occupied. Students may not leave belongings on campus between the spring and summer semesters or between the summer and fall semesters, even if they are attending both as room or hall assignment will change. Exceptions may apply to students who are involved in groups who have athletic events or other types of training during those times and who have prior approval for such activities. Samford is not responsible for any loss or damage to personal property left in rooms. The university does not have facilities to provide storage for students' personal property between terms or over the summer.


The university seeks to foster a spirit of community, benefiting from the full participation of each campus citizen. The student and the community are best served when the student is available to be involved in campus activities. Experience confirms that students who reside on campus are more likely to be fully engaged in their educational experiences, more likely to establish strong interpersonal relationships, and more likely to learn from group and interpersonal interaction.

To maximize the university experience, all unmarried undergraduates 20 years of age and under are required to reside in university housing, unless they live at home with a parent or guardian. Undergraduate students who are at least 20 years old at the beginning of the term, and who have completed two full years of undergraduate study with a satisfactory GPA, may petition the Office of Residence Life for permission to reside off campus. In addition, students must have a satisfactory record of personal conduct, and valid reasons for living off campus. Graduate students and students at least 22 years of age are not guaranteed University housing and are accommodated on a space-available basis after undergraduates are assigned.

During the summer terms, housing is limited to students enrolled at Samford University during the term, or to students required to be in residence to participate in university-approved activities. During fall and spring semesters, housing is limited to full-time students or to part-time students with special needs. On-campus housing is not available to students over 24 years of age without permission from the Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.

Personalization Guidelines

The following items provide a guide by which to decorate residence hall rooms. The Residence Life Department asks that you remain within these guidelines. If you have questions when you arrive, please address them to the RA (resident assistant) and/or RM (residence manager) in your building.

  1. Hanging a curtain rod by nailing into the window frame on either side of the window is allowed. Spring rods/tension rods may also be used.
  2. Two nail holes per wall are permitted as long as there is no damage to the wall. Any other anchoring device is prohibited. Residents should use only Command strips/hooks by 3M or similar product to hang items on the walls.
  3. Students may not paint or use contact paper in their room. Drawer liner that does not have any type of adhesive may be used.
  4. Installation of carpet should not include the use of two-sided tape, carpet tape or any substance that would damage the flooring in the rooms. If carpet is used, it must be removed at the end of the year.
  5. Furniture in the rooms must remain in the rooms. Furniture may not be removed from a residence hall room. Residents are responsible for their furniture, and removing it will result in a fine or replacement cost.
  6. Dry erase boards or small bulletin boards may be put up on the wall outside of the room, but not on the door. These must be put up using only one nail. No type of adhesive may be used. Boards that are already adhered to the wall should be used if possible, or the new board should cover the spot from which the old board was removed.
  7. Bed bunking: You may bunk and unbunk the beds yourself (West Village excluded). Some beds require a 7/32 Allen wrench and a crescent wrench for bunking. You must unbunk the beds before checking out or you will be charged.


Visitation for Residence Halls

Sunday–Thursday: noon–10 p.m.
Friday–Saturday: noon–midnight

All guests participating in the visitation period must sign in at the area office. At the conclusion of the visitation period, the host and guest must sign out at the area office. At sign-in, guests must leave a picture ID at the area office and receive a residence hall pass; the pass must be kept with them during the visitation period.

At no time should a guest walk through the residence hall/area without being escorted by his/her guest.